Ret Paladin Support Group...Because Legion Changes

Discuss Paladins Here.
Aggranger

Ret Paladin Support Group...Because Legion Changes

Post by Aggranger » June 24th, 2016, 3:23 pm

If you all have been following the Beta Class-Retribution Forum, MMO-Champion Forums, etc, there are pages upon pages of discussion on the state of Ret Pally and the upcoming expansion.

Without going into the challenges and issues and regurgitating the work that has been done in those forums, I am taking that standpoint of helping those of us die-hard Ret Paladins who will main Ret in Legion and are planning on raiding. I am by no means the authority on all things Ret, but I am a facilitator and I figured a thread like this can help us Ret's help ourselves and be as prepared as we can be come Legion.

This is mainly aimed at those Ret's with Beta Access to carry the discussion, but some of the things I plan on farming from the MMO-Champ and Beta Class threads are:

1) Rotation (our mechanics are changing ALOT in Legion)
a. Single Target
b. AOE/Cleave

2) Talent selection/combinations (in support of the above)

3) Utility (We lost a lot and gained...well, um...)

4) Any boss-specific feedback from those who have participated in Beta- Raid Testing.

For those of us who do not have Beta Access, we CAN get on PTR and mess around with our rotation/talents etc. We can even do the Broken Shore Scenario (pretty fun), and hopefully soon, do the Legion Invasion zones (still broken as of 24 June). And there is always the trusty target dummy.

We'll just see where this goes.

-Agg
Aggranger

Re: Ret Paladin Support Group...Because Legion Changes

Post by Aggranger » June 25th, 2016, 7:20 am

1) Single Target Rotation: Here is what I have so far from the Beta Thread:

Talent set-up:

-Final Verdict (FV)
-The Fires of Justice (tFoJ)
-Fist of Justice (FoJ)
-Virtue's Blade or Blades of Wrath (Not sure which is better) (VB, BoW)
-Justicar's Vengeance (JV)
-Divine Intervention (DI)
-Divine Purpose (DP)

Rotation: BoJ (BoW), CS, CS, CS, Judgement, TV, CS, TV, BoW, TV

Before Judgement is the build-up of Holy Power....After Judgement is the dumping of HP on Finishers.
Think of BoW/BoJ as a very close-in gap closer....only 12 yards.

From what I have seen, Avenging Wrath can be used in conjunction with Judgement before a dump phase. Macro AW with Judgement for burst?

Source: Various posts in Ret Pally Beta Forum
Aggranger

Post by Aggranger » June 25th, 2016, 9:46 am

2) Talent Set-up

-Single Target:

-Final Verdict (FV)
-The Fires of Justice (tFoJ)
-Fist of Justice (FoJ)
-Virtue's Blade or Blades of Wrath (Not sure which is better) (VB, BoW)
-Justicar's Vengeance (JV)
-Divine Intervention (DI)
-Divine Purpose (DP)

-AOE: (work in Progress)
Last edited by Aggranger on June 25th, 2016, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aggranger

Post by Aggranger » June 25th, 2016, 9:49 am

3) Raid Utility

Here is what we lost:

-Hand of Sacrifice
-Hand of Purity
-Clemency (Talent)
-Righteous Fury (no more niche options to gain/maintain aggro on special adds....like infernals on Archy fight)
(probably more)

Here is what we have for Legion: (work in progress)
Last edited by Aggranger on June 25th, 2016, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aggranger

Post by Aggranger » June 25th, 2016, 9:50 am

4) Raid specific feedback by boss: (Work in Progress)

Emerald Nightmare (normal/heroic):

1)Nythendria: There is a mechanic called Rot. Rot forces random players to move away from raid (at least 8 yards) and drop a pile of goo. From what I have seen in a Beta kill video and Fat Boss is the ideal way to handle Rot is to drop it at the edge of the room. When the boss's energy reaches zero, the phase changes and the goo all moves towards the boss in the center where it re-energizes and repeats the first phase. It looks like it is OK to drop the Rot in melee range if it is one or two, and as long as it is 8 yds away from other players while you are dropping it.

Ret's lack mobility in Legion. No more Long Arm of the Law or Speed of Light. We have talented movement in Divine Steed or Seal of Light. Divine Steed mounts the paladin up for a 3 second ride on a 45 second cool down. Seal of Light increases your speed based on HP Spent for a short duration. More than likely, Divine Steed will be the mandatory talent in that row. So, for this boss, there may be a lot of waddling to the edge/out of range and DPS downtime as we don't have a true gap closer and the 45 second CD on Divine Steed is slower than the mechanic's CD. Not sure how frequent the chance is of getting Rot multiple times in a 45 second period.
Last edited by Aggranger on July 3rd, 2016, 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thidus

Post by Thidus » June 26th, 2016, 8:54 pm

dont really need to build up 5 holy power to use judge, theres so much hp generators that its best to use judgement on cd cus judge hits really hard itself, well at least atm that is the case, who knows with the next iteration if there are any changes.
Aggranger

Post by Aggranger » June 30th, 2016, 7:58 am

Indeed. I noticed that now after playing more on PTR. Especially after the change to Blades gaining 2 HP. Makes the rotation a little more flexible.
Nova

Post by Nova » July 4th, 2016, 2:38 am

Wish they would stop giving it gimpy mechanics like this and give ret some actual sustained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozw_kz8qXNM&feature=youtu.be
Thidus

Post by Thidus » July 5th, 2016, 1:29 am

JV seems strong because your are stunning things and using it to *** on things while leveling, but in a raid situation you're not going to be able to stun the boss and get the extra dmg from JV, plus you're going to be using your Dp procs to use JV not your holy power, which is being used for your other stuff in judge window. Also Ashes to ashes is the *** and it makes ret feel alot better espcecially in aoe where its just as good if not better then bladestorm.

Return to “Paladin”